Nothing particularly tricky or major skills needed to make it but I used a variety of power tools to get to the conclusion. That is not to say you couldn't do it with only hand tools. The most valuable tool here in my humble opinion is my hot melt glue gun!!!
So here is the processes I went through to build it.
1. Witches hat/safety cone
2. A barrel with a tight fitting lid that MUST be very rigid.
3. 1 metre length of 50mm DWV pipe
4. 2 X 50mm-40mm reducer
5. Assorted ½ inch Plywood to make 2 rings and plug for the top of the cone.
6. Screws to suit
7. 50mm X 1000mm X 3mm Aluminium strap (optional but kind necessary for rigidity)
8. 6mm nuts and bolts for Aluminium strap above.
9. Vacuum tube to attach the cyclone…I had several lying around and I joined them together to make a big hose.
10. Self-Adhesive foam tape to seal the “plug” for the top of the cone.
11. Nuts and bolts to secure the input tube to the inlet of the cone.
The cone cost me $11 and the plastic pipe and fittings was about $10 but if you have the bits around your shop you could probably build it for zero cost.
To the build:
1. Start by laying out the plug for the top of the witches hat. The Bunnings one has raised circles in each corner and to keep this structural integrity I left these in tact.
2. Here is the shaped plate that forms the plug on the top of the cyclone. It is just a square plate with the corners radiused to suit the plastic ring reinforcement as seen I made this from ½ ″ plywood .
3. This is the 50mm-40mm reducer purchased from a hardware store or plumbing store. Funnily enough I use a 2″ Forstner bit and the 40mm side of the reducer makes a very snug fit (but if you are somewhere that does inches convert to a suitable size)
4. This is the 50mm DWF pipe cut on a 45°angle and it helps set out the hole that you need to cut out on the side angle. It is approximately 400mm long.
5. As can be seen it is an egg or elongated teardrop shape that equates to the pipe entering close to the side on an angle. I marked it with a marker pen and drilled a series of connective holes that I then used a Stanley knife to “join the dots” and cut the hole.