Ever since I've started using Linux I've been obsessed with doing custom routers and trying to cram as much functionality in the less amount of space possible. 'Space' so far being hard drive space, so I set out to build me a new router to substitute the old P5-233 Dell that was working as my firewall. Like pretty much every other hardware project I've done, planning was absent in the process as I prefer to do things Mc Guiver-style and surprise myself.
Step 1: Let the games begin!
I usually try to spend as little money as possible in projects, as such you can always find a good amount of "spare parts" in boxes in my garage. I already had a single board computer that was removed from a controller box, probably used in manufacturing. The power requirements were a bit troublesome for a SBC, but scavenging around found a power supply from a text terminal that would match the board perfectly (in terms of voltages at least).
Step 2: Giving it a body
The computer turned on ok and seems to be in working order. I left it on a few hours to make sure the power supply would not overheat. With that out of the way it was time to build a case. While looking for a power supply I came across a damaged APC UPS and noticed it's dimensions matched that of the computer and power supply. So I set out to gut out the UPS and try to fit the components inside it. It was a rather simple although tiresome process of bending, ripping and filing plastic. One hour later the motherboard and the power supply were mounted in the case.