Join us, and Launch It!
How? Model rockets. Trebuchets. Marshmallow guns. Potato cannons. Slingshots. Catapults. Air pressure. Water pressure. Explosives. Rubber bands. Muscles. Engines. Springs. Something even more creative. We're launching the Instructables store- you get to launch everything else.
If you need inspiration, check out these classic Instructables:
Tennis Ball Mortar
Soda Bottle Rocket
Rocket Powered Matchbox Cars
Automatic K'nex gun
Office Supplies Trebuchet
Ratings Prize: First
The Instructable with the highest rating will receive a gift certificate for a Instructables Robot t-shirt from the Instructables store, and a custom-engraved Leatherman.
Ratings Prize: Runners-Up
The 5 Instructables with the next-highest rating will each receive a gift certificate for a Instructables Robot t-shirt from the Instructables store.
Page Views Prize:
The Instructable with the greatest number of pageviews will receive a gift certificate for a Instructables Robot t-shirt from the Instructables store, and a custom-engraved Leatherman.
We'll also randomly pick one Instructable to receive a gift certificate for a Instructables Robot t-shirt from the Instructables store, and a custom-engraved Leatherman.
How to Enter:
1. Build something awesome, share it on Instructables, add it to the Launch It! Challenge group, and tag it with the keyword launch_it.
2. Your Instructable must include a video of the launch! Here's how to embed a video- if you have more questions, just ask!
3. You must use proper safety precautions! Don't aim at people, set your surroundings on fire, or do anything dumb or unsafe. Describe any potential hazards carefully, so others can make an informed decision based on the risk. Wear safety goggles, ear protection, a helmet, or other safety gear as necessary. We need to see your safety gear in the video, so be sure to look sharp.
4. Make a sign labeled "Instructables Launch It! Challenge Entry", and display it for the camera at the beginning of your video. If you do this while wearing your safety gear you'll take care of #3 as well!
5. Just to be completely clear: we want to see a sign, your safety gear, and everyone in the video acting responsibly. Unsafe or irresponsible behavior will result in disqualification from this contest, regardless of pageviews or ratings. If you're not sure what this means, ask. We're happy to talk about it.
6. Be creative, and document your project well. That means taking good pictures and writing down a list of parts and directions- the video isn't enough by itself!
7. We're not terribly strict, but your Instructable must be applicable to the Launch It! theme.
8. Publish your Instructable by 11:59pm PDT Sunday, 16 September, 2007.
9. Only projects posted on or after the 1st of August, 2007 are eligible. If you've got an older project that could apply, make another with improvements and submit it to the contest! Post an improved version of someone else's Instructable with a link back to your source of inspiration!
Once again, we're letting the audience judge! Find the entries here and rate your favorite projects so we know what you like. Vote for as few or as many as you like- it's up to you. Only positive votes will count in this contest! We're not counting negative votes, so voting down your competitor's projects is both unsporting and useless.
We'll judge based on the standings at noon PDT on Thursday, September 20, 2007 so everyone will have time to check out and vote on even the latest entries. Results will be posted shortly thereafter.
Project Submission Deadline: 11:59pm PDT, Sunday, 16 September 2007.
Audience Judging Deadline: noon PDT, Thursday, 20 September 2007.
You can only win one prize per contest, but enter as many projects as you like and cross-post to other contests! Many Launch It! Instructables would also make great entries in the Science Fair.
International entries are great- we're happy to ship our t-shirts abroad. If you're under 18, that's fine too- we'll just need your parents' OK if you win.
Have a blast!