Step 1: SUPPLY LIST
- Batch of cupcakes- baked and cooled to room temperature; your choice of flavor
- Icing (make a batch or use store bought)
- Icing Gel- several tubes (purchase contrasting color to the icing color- ex. white icing- use black or purple gel for the spider web- Gel is sold at grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Michaels, etc.)
- 1 toothpick for each child/student (if using this as group activity)
- 1 spatula or knife -for spreading the icing (if group project, suggest 1 plastic knife for each child/student)
- 1 plastic spider/ bat ring (enough that each cupcake has it's own ring)
Step 2: Ice the Cupcake
Step 3: Make the Spider Web
Tip: Start in the middle and drag to the outside. I ususally do this about 4-6 times. (picture 2)
Tip: Younger children should not use smaller items like a plastic fly- potential choking hazard. Dollar stores are a great resource for locating interesting "Halloween" plastic toy items for this project.
Step 5: Variation
- 60's Decade themed parties...suggest using pink/purple and yellow or green- for a tye dye look.
- Patriotic cupcakes using red/ and blue gel on white icing.
- Holiday with red/green gel on white icing.
Kids and adults go crazy for this simple to do decorating technique. Have fun!