The parabolic Asian cooking(dumpling) strainer is the perfect candidate for this project.
I was able to pick up 20 more access points in the city and connect to a network a few blocks away!
This is BY-FAR the most simple of all Wifi extensions!
_best paint'job EVER!_ - This is the general Idea behind the parabolic dish.
- it should bounce all waves from the dish into the focalpoint (wifi thumbstick).
~*~ My Personal Webpage ~*~ --- More cool stuff!
Step 1: GO GET STUFF!!!
a) Cooking strainer from Asian food market.
- Needs to be PARABOLIC
-The wooden handle on mine made it easy to work with.
-Mesh should be similar "tightness" as pictured. (Don't get the loose mesh)
b) USB Wireless Thumb Drive (g or b/g)
c) USB extension. -- The longer the better.(but get as much as you need.)
Step 2: Prep and Build the Signal Strainer!
-Using the snips and cup out a hole JUST big enough for the USB extension cord.
Squeeze the tip of the USB cord through hole.
-Adjust everything so the thumbdrive is at the FOCAL POINT of the parabola (I just eyeballed it).
-Fasten the USB cord in to place.
Step 3: Testing the Signal Strainer
1) Find your favorite access point!
2) get as far away as possible! (While keeping line-of-sight)
3) Use software like NetStumbler to see the signal strength.
4) Adjust your Signal Strainer where necessary.