RESULTS HAVE BEEN POSTED HERE!
We all want to do our part to improve the environment- as everyone knows, green is the new black. Sure, sustainability is hip, trendy, and socially conscious, but what steps are you taking right now to save the planet?
We want to know how you're reducing your environmental footprint, and hopefully saving some cash in the process! Are you modding your gear, simplifying your life, or building something awesome? Tell us what you're doing to go green, and teach us how- share what you know!
You can reuse vintage floppies, make your own cloth grocery bags, build some recycled modular shelving, a sun jar, a solar heater, or a wind generator. Move onto solar energy, worm compost, or even ditch your car for an electric bike!
Need more ideas? Check out TreeHugger's great list of simple ways to Go Green, and the green coverage on PopSci.
So, reduce, reuse, repurpose, recycle, and rebuild, then show us what you are doing to make your life a little bit greener!
The grand prize winner will receive a Breezer Liberty hybrid commuter bicycle with pedal-powered lights, a brief write-up in a future issue of Popular Science, and a 1-year subscription to Popular Science magazine.
5 first prize winners will each receive a Solio Universal Hybrid Solar Charger (TreeHugger review here), an Instructables robot t-shirt, and a 1-year subscription to Popular Science magazine.
10 second prize winners will each receive an Instructables robot t-shirt and a 1-year subscription to Popular Science Magazine.
1. Publish your Instructable and add it to the Go Green! group from July 16th till August 19th, 2007. Only projects published within these dates are eligible.
2. Document your project thoroughly! Use great text, photos, and videos as necessary to make sure other people could replicate your Instructable.
3. We want to see a nice explanation of what you did, why you did it, and how it makes your life more eco-friendly and sustainable.
All contest entries will be judged for merit. Judges will evaluate each Instructable for the following:
- environmental impact
- completeness (photos and text for all important steps, video as necessary)
- clear, concise text description including a properly summarized introduction
- clear photographs (2+ megapixel preferred), use macro mode for close up shots
- use of photo-notes where appropriate
- list of parts and tools required (if appropriate)
- safety notes (if appropriate)
- technical merit
How to create a great Instructable
How to add an Instructable to a group
How to embed video into Instructables
Explore popular Instructables
Take a tour of Instructables
You must be 18 or older to enter. If you are under 18, you can still enter, but to win you will need to verify that you had the permission of a parent or guardian (we will have a permission slip for you). Your parent could also join you as a collaborator on your Instructable.
International entries are great! Prizes and PopSci subscriptions can be mailed world-wide.
You may enter as many different Instructables as you like, however they will be judged on individual merit and you may only win one prize per contest. An Instructable may be entered in multiple contests if it meets the relevant criteria.
Winner is responsible for any potential taxes.