Somethings you will need:
1. Tools needed. I needed only a screwdriver, electrical tape, wire cutters, and wire strippers.
- You may also wish to solder the joints and heatshrink but this is optional.
3. Three new battery connectors.
4. If you do not already have something to wrap the batteries a piece of foam or battery clip holders will be needed but are not completely necessary.
Before I start:
1. If you attempt this I am not responsible for any damage that may occur. If you feel like this is too difficult do not attempt there is always someone who has tried this before such as a guitar tech and I am sure they could help you if you ask.
2. This mod is for a specific set of Active Pickups most all actives in guitars are about the same but make sure you know what you are doing before you attempt this. Refer to number 1.
3. Be safe and careful. I did make a few shortcuts: For example I taped the 3 way battery clips. I will be going back to solder them and heat shrink but for pictures I just taped so that it would not take all day to finish.
4. Feel free to message me here if you need any help with this mod. I plan on later adding a pot so that I can dial in the Volts from 9 to 18 and also installing a switch for plain 9 or 18 volt operation.
Step 1: Assess the Setup
I am preforming this mod on a PRS CE so your guitar maybe different.
This guitar has already been fitted with EMG Active pick ups. If you do not have actives you will not be able to do this. However if you have them then this should work.
Most guitars will have about the same setup throughout with small differences but be sure before you get in to deep.
Remember to keep the screws and cover set together and out of the way. It is a pain to grab a flashlight and look for those tiny screws all day.
Step 2: Stock Harness
Remove the battery and pull your wiring out a little bit.
Step 3: New Wiring Up
I bought 5 heavy duty battery clips for $2.00 at Radio Shack. I recommend a heavy duty clip.
Now join the ends in series.
So you attach black to red / black to red / black to red. This will give you a triangle looking harness now.
Step 4: Added the Harness to the Guitar.
So you attach all the wires together nicely.
Then you attach your batteries.
And finally you attach the third battery connector to the stock battery connector.
Step 5: Repackage!
Many people do not worry with securing the batteries and they beat the electronics of the guitar to pieces and it sounds like crap also.
Step 6: Finishing Up.
Now make sure you have clearance for the back cover.
Now run the screws back into place and you are almost ready to test.
Since it is right in front of you and it has been handled go ahead and give the ol girl a wipe down with a polishing cloth real quick!
Step 7: TEST AWAY!
This PRS became a little more "dark" without getting "muddy". By that I mean it is a little lower than my Telecaster but not muddy like the Les Paul. It now has an even more unique sound and tone.
A little of the back story behind the mod for me.
9 Volt Actives tend to compress and clip your signal. I am not opposed to clipping the signal but the compression is a little bit of a pain. The 18 volt mod make the tone sound like a perfect match between a passive and active sound. I play Metal and this is a better tone for a wide open sound.
You may however disagree but you have the option to open her back up and easily reverse this mod. Good Luck and hope you are happy with it! I am !!!
Take a little to some good tunes full of good tones.
We will have our new full length album out this coming month so keep looking.
This guitar is used on the recordings.
A little bit of the legal stuff.
PRS and logo/trademarks are property of PRS and is in no way affliated with or being used for any profit or gain. I have the guitar and I only used it to show as an example.
EMG and logo/trademarks are property of EMG and is in no way affliated with or being used for any profit or gain. I have the pick ups and I only used them to show as an example.
RadioShack as mention belongs to RadioShack the company and is in no way affliated and is only mentioned to note where I purchased some of the products needed and not being used for gain or profit.
Please feel free to contact me if you believe this to be in anyway infringment of the copyrighted materials of said companies.