Step 1: Layout
It was important to me that the sculpture have a somewhat fluid movement, it is a sea monster after all. I liked the idea of a sort of antiquated machine look, so I came up with a simple belt drive mechanism based on some nice old belt wheels that I found.
Step 2: Mechanism
After a good deal of advil and cursing I had the wheels mounted on bearings welded to stands made from railing sections.
Step 3: Head
Perhaps the greatest challenge of this project was developing the mount that would hold the head. It had to allow for movement on 2 axis, support some weight, and look cool. Eventually I came across part of a motorcycle frame (I think), and welded some bearing mounts to it that i had turned on the lathe. After some messing around with height and distance from the belt mechanism, the new mount was fixed to the top of some more railing sections.
Step 4: Structure
Fortunately for me my friend Reuben happened to have some huge planks of wood laying around outside his studio. I decided to go with a sort of sunken pier / ships deck look.
Step 5: Details and wiring
All the lessor tentacles had to be bolted around the mouth opening, leaving room for the large ones to attach inside. I had to machine an adjustable pivot with spring connections so that the head could respond gently to all the random stresses that the motor would produce.
I ordered some glass taxidermy eyes to mount in the brass candle holders to give the beast a little more soul. Tiny LED mounts were machined behind the eyes to make them glow. The inside of the mouth got the same treatment.
the motor was concealed with the help of lamp pole base covers, and a timing device was installed to keep it from running constantly.