Where have you been? And, where did you go today? While words can aptly describe your daily activities, a picture can communicate around a thousand words, or something like that. Better yet, take that picture and wrap it around a fistful of GPS data and now you're really talking.
The GPS Logger V1.1 kit from Spark Fun Electronics (#GPS-00671) is a complete plug-n-go solution for logging every step you take during a day, a week, or, even almost, a month (in KML logging mode). Just pop in some batteries, flick the teensy switch, and within a couple of minutes you'll know exactly where you're standing when you flicked that teensy switch.
Based on the Lassen iQ GPS module by Trimble, roughly every second is recorded with the Spark Fun Electronics GPS Logger V1.1. You can select between The National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) data or Keyhole Markup Language (KML) data. The latter has been uniquely massaged for assimilation directly into Google Earth coordinates format.
If you're a data miser, though, you'll probably opt for logging the NMEA data. As such, your GPS plate will be full; very, very full of data. Specifically, there are two lines of GPS data recorded every second with the GPS Logger V1.1:
- $GPGGA-Global Positioning System Fix Data
- 220536.00-Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
- 1-GPS Fix
- 04-number of satellites being tracked
- 3.70-horizontal dilution of position
- 00023,M-altitude above mean sea level in meters
- 026,M-altitude of mean sea level in meters
- $GPVTG-velocity/track made good
- 236.3,T-heading in degrees
- 235.2,M-magnetic heading in degrees
- 000,0,N-ground speed in knots
- 000.0,K-ground speed in kilometers per hour
So where can you carry this fancy GPS logger? Well, use your head, man; literally. The GPS Logger V1.1 will easily fit inside the top peak of a baseball cap. Just route the embedded antenna out through one of the cap's ventilation holes and you'll be loggin' in no time.
Ja, das ist der Noggin Logger.
Step 1: Build the Noggin Logger
Time: 30 minutes
- GPS Logger V1.1 kit from Spark Fun Electronics ($150.70 #GPS-00671)
- Velcro Brand Sticky Back Tape 3-feet x 3/4-inch ($3; craft center)
- scrap fabric swatch (FREE; scavenged)
- baseball cap (FREE; repurposed)