Step 1: Before
• Choose a couple of family meeting places;pick easy to identify, open and accessible places that you can likelywalk to and prepare to be self-sufficient for a minimum of three days.
• Assemble an emergency supply kit for all family members and pets; include food,water, prescription medications and first aid supplies, a battery operated radio, flashlight, extra batteries, shelter, clothing, sturdy shoes, and personal toiletries.
• Assemble similar emergency kits for your workplace and vehicle.
If you have the chance take a first aid course, and remember this are some tips to help you to be prepared because earthquakes are unpredictable situations .
Step 2: During
• Remain calm, If inside, stay inside and dont try run .
• DROP, COVER,AND HOLD! Drop under sturdy furniture. Cover as much of your head and torso as you can.Hold onto
the furniture. If you cannot get under sturdy furniture,move to an insidewall or sturdy archway and sitwith your back to thewall,
bring your knees to your chest and cover your headwith your arms.
• Stay away from mirrors and windows.
• Do not exit the building during the shaking.
• If outdoors,move to an open area away from all structures, especially buildings, bridges, and overhead power lines.Watch for falling debris.
• If driving, stop in an open area away from all structures especially bridges, overpasses,
tunnels, and overhead power lines. Stay as low as possible inside the vehicle.
Step 3: After
• Hang up all phones.Only use phones (including cell phones) if a life is at stake.
• Inspect gas,water and electric lines. If there are leaks or if there is any doubt about leaks, shut off mains; evacuate immediately if you hear or smell gas and can’t shut it off. Report leaks to the authorities.
• Stay out of damaged buildings.
• Listen to the radio or watch local TV for emergency information and additional safety instructions.
• Initiate emergency plan