Introduction: Easiest, Fastest and Most Effective Way to Clean a Copper CPU/GPU Water Block
Easiest, fastest and most effective way to clean a copper CPU/GPU water block
What i did ?
I posted some time back a thread related to my custom GPU and CPU water block and i cleaned them and re-installed them in my system. But This time my water flow literary dropped to 1-2% ( To make it easier to understand instead of getting water stream i was getting droplets of water at the loop end ). And this time it happened so fast like within a month. As my CPU water block design is very less restrictive, i just removed my GPU from the loop so i can use my PC on integrated GPU. Before you go further i want to let you know that i am using a Bong for my setup and thus use tap water.
A pic demonstrating the gunk, plasticizer, algae AIO.( This is the worse i ever had )
Now previously i cleaned it just with a dishwasher soap having lemon as the main ingredient. This time i read on WWW and decided to go with acid cleaning.
The results are so good that it would be mean not to share it.
> Screw Driver set ( to open CPU/GPU water block )
> A toothbrush
> Diluted HCL ( I used toilet bowl cleaner because its active agent was HCL )
> A Bowl
> Rubber or plastic Gloves
What was used to clean ?
This time i used toilet bowl cleaner. Yes u heard it right. The main ingredient used in this cleaner was HCL (Hydrochloric acid). I will recommend only HCL as i found it to be among the best and as its the only one i had practical exp with. It was diluted HCL but the concentration isn't know neither it was written on the cleaner.
Use gloves, Use safety glasses and work in a safe area. Don't drop it on floor or your Mum might kill you.
Steps ( How i did it )
• Open the water block we only need the copper plate to work on.
• First time i just pored 2-3 drops of the toilet bowl cleaner directly onto the copper plate. Started bubbling i used an old teeth brush to clean and make sure the acid reaches every part and fins.
• After that cleaned with water it was pretty clean at this point.
• Then i took a plastic blow fill it with water so that the copper plate can be fully submerged. Then i dropped 5-10 drops of that cleaner and got that pinkish solution as shown in pic.
• Let the copper plate sit in it for around 10-15 min. Then resin with water again.
• In the end i used dishwasher soap having lemon as the main ingredient. Rubbed a toothbrush on that soap and clean the copper plate thoroughly and in the end resin it again.
• To clean rest of the water block ( For acrylic pieces and fittings i used the same pink solution it cleans really quick removing all that white powder thing that is formed )
After cleaning image is included too u will know which one i am talking about.
AND I need your help !
Before i put this beautiful clean and loving water block again in my loop i want to know There is no way i can use distilled water in my loop due to bong and with heavy system usage i evaporate about 1 liter of water daily so it would be expensive to buy distilled water 1 liter daily ?
Is there any ghetto mod/ thing used in our daily routine that can help me with algae reduction or elimination in my loop ?
What tubing doesn't produce plasticizer ? Or what that pipe or tubing is called that doesn't produce this white gunk ?
I cannot afford a copper rad they are rare and expensive here that is y i have to live with BONG ( it works awesome though)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.