Introduction: Easter Egg Display Platforms
With Easter coming up, I bought Ukrainian Easter eggs for my family from Ardyth at the eggnpagan Link to the shop where I bought my eggs and I wanted to make a platform to display them. In this Instructable I will describe how I made these. The platforms are made of either Zebrawood or Mahogany.
Step 1: Tools and Materials
- Table saw with a sled
- Drill Press with a 1/8 inch bit
- 1 inch Forstner bit
- Roundover bit on router table
- Sander with 220-grit paper
- Zebrawood or Mahogany (Any wood will do). Three inches wide by 3/4 inch thick.
- Tung oil
Step 2: Cut the Wood Into Three Inch Squares and Mark the Center
- Use the table saw to cut three inch squares
- Mark the center of each piece using a straight edge ruler.
Step 3: Drill a 1/8 Inch Hole in the Center
Using the drill press, drill a 1/8 inch hole in the center. The nail on the sled will pass thru this
Step 4: Cut a Circle Using the Sled
- Make a very small diameter drill hole on your sled about 2 7/16 inches away from the blade
- Tap a nail in the square.
- Begin cutting the edges by passing it thru the saw.
- Rotate the square by a few degrees at a time until you have cut the square into a circle
Step 5: Using a Forstner Bit, Make a 3/8 Inch Deep Hole 1 Inch Across.
- Again using the drill press use a 1 inch Forstner bit to make a 3/8 to 4/8 inch deep cup in the center of each disc.
- This will be the cup where the egg rests
Step 6: Using a Router, Round Over the Top Edge
- Carefully use a round-over bit on a router to round over and soften the top edge.
- This is optional and if you like the stand to be a puck, that's up to you.
- Sand all surfaces smooth using 220 or higher grit sandpaper
Step 7: Apply Tung Oil or a Finish of Your Choice
I used Tung Oil which is fast and provides a nice finish. This is not a project that is exposed to water and so Tung oil should be fine. Alternatively you can use Danish Oil, Teak Oil, Polyurethane or any finish you desire. I put on three coat with each coat applied about an hour apart.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.