Introduction: Holepuncher Sparkleball
Colorful sparkleball perfect for Easter project or spring bacchanal. Also perfect project for kids. You holepunch and drill. They can join cups and add lights.
Step 1: What You Need
- 50 soft 9 oz tumbler-style ("solo") cups
- mini-lights, white or color
- coated electrical wire or zip-ties
- clothespins, clamps or paperclips
- drill with 1/2" bit (or soldering iron or xacto knife)
Step 2: Prep Work
- Drill, melt or cut 1/2" holes in cup bottoms. Two lights should fit through snugly.
- Test lights to make sure they work
- Punch 4 holes around the top of cups. Each hole should have a hole opposite it. Doesn't need to be exact.
- If using wire, cut it in pieces 2-4" long. You'll need about 200 pieces.
Step 3: Build the Layers
- Thread a piece of wire through two holes to join cups.
- Join 12 cups in a ring. (If this doesn't make a nice circle, your cups aren't right.)
- Set aside. Join 9 cups. This ring will be a bit wonky and loose.
- Set aside. Join 4 cups.
Step 4: Stack Layers and Join
- Clip the 9-cup layer on top of the 12-cup layer. Join with wire.
- Slip the 4-cup layer into the opening at the top. Join it to the 9-cup layer.
Step 5: Add Lights to 1st Side
- Start at plug end.
- Insert two lights (if you're using 100 mini's) in a cup on the outer rim.
- Add lights, cup by cup, working into center and back out to rim.
- Finish the 1st side by ending up at cup next to cup you started with.
Step 6: Make 2nd Side and Finish Lights
- Build 2nd side the same way.
- Start lights from opposite end of the cord, so they meet in the middle.(I used two 50-light strands and plugged them together.)
Step 7: Clip and Join
- Clip two sides together.
- This makes joining them easier.
Step 8: Trim (or Not) and Hang!
- Trim your wires. (I like them wild and crazy, so I leave them)
- Holepunch a hole and insert a hanging wire or ziptie.
- There you go! An easter eggy, daffodilly, springtime sparkleball that's as pretty unlit as lit.
More fun ideas on sparkleball.com.