As a hungry college student, I'm always on the lookout for cheap and tasty snacks, and no snack tastes better than freshly baked cookies!
If you're an infrequent baker like me, then your pantry and fridge are stocked only with the barest essentials. But don't worry. This simple recipe uses just 5 common ingredients: flour, butter, sugar, salt, and eggs, and produces delicious, chewy sugar cookies in only 15 minutes. I'm not a star in the kitchen, but these cookies are impossible to mess up for even the most inexperienced of bakers.
Step 1: Ingredients and Tools
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup)butter
[OPTIONAL] 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoonvanilla extract
- oven (preheat to 350°F)
- baking tray
- aluminum foil
- fork OR electric mixer
Step 2: Cream Butter and Sugar
In one bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until the ingredients are well mixed and fluffy. This is most easily done with an electric mixer, but since I didn't have one on hand, I warmed the butter up (not too warm, or else it will melt!), and manually creamed the butter-sugar mixture with a fork until smooth.
Step 3: Mix Ingredients
Now it's time to mix in all the other ingredients. I like to use a fork for this part, as an electric mixer can get messy.
- Add the egg to the butter-sugar mixture and mix them together thoroughly
- Add in the flour and salt and mix until the cookie dough is smooth and creamy
Tip: If you have any other spices you would like to add, like vanilla extract or cinnamon, now's the time! Just add them right into the mixture with all the other ingredients.
Step 4: Roll the Dough
- Lay out the aluminum foil onto your baking tray
- Roll the dough into small (~1.5 inch diameter) balls and line them up on the tray
- Gently press down on each ball to flatten them into cookies (~ .5 inch thick)
Tip: If you have some, it's helpful to add non-stick spray to the foil to prevent the cookies from sticking
Step 5: Bake and Eat!
- Slide the cookies into the you preheated oven
- Sit back, and wait around 8-10 minutes
By the end of the 10 minutes, the edges of the cookies should have a nice golden-brown color - at which point you're done. Take the cookies out of the oven and enjoy!