I always wanted to do the jam using rose. We can use Red rose or Paneer rose or other variety of roses from garden without pesticides. My mom used to make gulkandu with pink paneer rose. When i saw the plant full of red roses, i know its time to try rose jam :). Here i tried and show the easy 2 step recipe.
It is quite a sweet jam, as the syrup serves to set the jam and to take out the slight bitterness of the petals. The syrup will be somewhat more liquid than the usual fruit jam, so do not try to overcook it.
Step 1: We Just Need Only 4 Materials
- 1 cup of rose petals -Tightly pressed (red or dark pink with a strong perfume)
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cup of water
- 1 lemon juice (approx. 2 & 1/2 Tbsp juice)
Step 2: Separate the Petals
- The best roses to use are the ones that are in full bloom.
- I used 5 to 6 full bloom roses.
- Separate the petals. Use full petals or you can cut the white tip of petals.
- Very gently rinse and drain the rose petals and place them in a large bowl.
Step 3: Step 1 - Add Ingredients
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1 Tbsp sugar on the petals.
- With your hand, massage the rose petals with juice and sugar.
- The petals should remain whole, not be torn.
- The massage will soften the petals, release beautiful perfume and its colour - fuchsia colour.
Step 4: Step 2 - Boil Rose Petals
- In the meantime, add the rest of the sugar to the water and heat in a large saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the rose petals and bring to the boil.
- Allow to boil until the syrup thickens and the petals no longer float.
- It will take about 30 minutes. Keep an eye on it, and stir every now and then.
Step 5: Finally Get Ready to Taste Our Rose Jam......
- Remember this is a jam made from flowers, not fruit pulp.
- It won't be like normal jam, but lovely silky syrup.
- While still hot, place the jam in clean, sterilised jam jars or glass container and allow to cool.
- This delicately perfumed jam is beautiful on bread.
- Stirred into some curd or yogurt is divine.
Enjoy Rose Jam with your Favorites.