Bacon, bacon, bacon, are you hungry for some bacon? Bacon, bacon, bacon, are you hungry for some bacon? I know I am! Who doesn't like a good ole fashioned BLT?
From Wikipedia - "According to food historian John Mariani, it is the second most popular sandwich in the US, after the ham sandwich, and a poll by OnePoll in 2008 showed that it was the "nation's favourite" sandwich in the UK.BLT sandwiches are popular especially in the summer, following the tomato harvest. In the USA, the BLT-season is associated with an increase in the price of pork-bellies, which are processed into bacon.
Interesting reading indeed about the BLT. Let's get to it and make the BLT! Follow the easy steps below or watch the short video tutorial (Be warned, there may or may not be a cheesy bacon song and dance in the video).
Step 1: Ingredients
- Bacon (I like to use thick cut, applewood smoked, bacon, at least 3 slices)
- Bread (I generally go with a hearty wheat bread, but you can pick what you like)
- Mustard (is generally my choice, however, mayonnaise or miracle whip are probably more popular choices)
- Lettuce (Nowadays to make it a little healthier I use spinach instead of Lettuce, Iceberg Lettuce is the classic choice for the Lettuce)
- Tomatoes (Beef Steak tomatoes are a popular choice, I usually pick Roma's, unless I have fresh ones in the garden)
Step 2: Cook the Bacon
Now first let's cook up our bacon in a skillet. Mmm bacon. You can make it nice and crispy, or you can make it less crispy, cook the bacon how you like it. Make sure to lay the bacon on a paper towel to get the excess grease off of it.
Step 3: Slice Your Tomatoes
Slice up your favorite tomatoes.
Step 4: Toast Your Bread
Now toast up that bread. I like to toast mine, but you don't have to toast the bread if you don't want to.
Step 5: Add Mustard, or Other Spread to the Bread
Now we add our mustard. When using mustard, make sure to draw the first letter of your name, M for Matt in my case. It definitely makes a difference and makes the sandwich taste better, knowing it has your personal stamp of approval on it. Your food signature if you will. Mustard is probably the minority choice for BLT's mayonnaise or miracle whip are more popular choices for the spread. Don't be hating on my mustard choice! :)
Step 6: Put It All Together
Now we assemble our BLT with the lettuce, tomato, and of course the bacon!!
Step 7: Eat the Sandwich
Now eat that thing!! Savor every last bite, then make another one. :) Can you tell I really like BLTs??