These bean burgers are super easy and very quick to make - not to mention you can add in so many things to suit your tastes! This is just a base recipe, so go wild. :D
These take about 30-45 minutes to make, and have a very short ingredient list. One can of beans can make four burgers!
Step 1: Ingredients + hardware!
- 1 14 oz. can OR 2 cups beans of your choice (I'm using chickpeas & black beans)
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 tbsp spice of your choice (I'm using chili powder in the black beans, cumin in the chickpeas)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- oil for cooking (olive or canola)
- large pan for frying
- food processor
- spatulas, forks, etc.
- cutting boards
Step 2: Assemble the bean mixture!
(Get out your food processor - if you have one that's 4+ cups, feel free to dump everything in. If you're working with a little tiny one like me, first mix everything together in a bowl and do it in two batches.)
Open your can of beans and drain it - reserving the liquid, just in case. (I've not had to use it, but who knows!) Cut your onion into chunks.
Combine the beans, 1/2 cup of oats, spices, the egg, onion, salt, and pepper in your bowl and mix together.
The first picture is chickpeas with cumin, the second picture is black beans with chili powder.