Do you love cappuccino or frothy caffe latte, but have no fancy, expensive, bulky expresso machine?
Now you can enjoy a mug of this style of coffee at home, easily and cheaply, using just a coffee plunger (Cafetiere or French Press)* and a microwave. (Coffee purists, don’t protest- you can go the whole hog with your $500 machine if you like!)
I have one plunger at home and another at work, so I can have my fakeaccino whenever I like!
*My mum actually invented this method for frothing the milk- it's the best I've found and works for hot chocolate as well as coffee.
Step 1: What you need
• Large cup or mug (I use a mug which widens at the top, this seems to work better). If you want to use a smaller cup, just adapt the quantities.
• Small plunger-style coffee jug (the kind that has a glass jug that lifts out of its holder, and a fine mesh plunger). I got mine for $4.
• Microwave oven
• Strong coffee :
~ brewed if you prefer- (you can use your plunger, then put the coffee in a pot or cup to re-heat and wash out the plunger thoroughly). The notes in italics in these instructions refer to the brewed coffee option.
or - gasp-
~ instant coffee (I actually prefer instant, to my mother and my son’s horror)
• Milk (light or full fat as you prefer; not super fresh is better for frothing, apparently)
• Sugar/sweetener if you want
• Powdered chocolate/cinnamon etc to sprinkle on top if you like