Introduction: Easy Chicken and Potato Dinner
This is a simple and easy meal that you can make and then place on the grill. When it is done, you will have a full meal with no need to turn on the oven, which is great in the summer heat. Simply put, I call this dish, chicken and potatoes. If you want to cook something new without a large amount of work this meal is for you. It will take about 15 to 20 minutes to prepare with another 20 to 30 minutes to cook. Weather you have never cooked before or are a professional; you will be able to follow these simple instructions and have a great meal in no time. This recipe makes enough for two but could easily be multiplied to feed more.
Step 1: Gather Everything You Need
First things first, you will need to gather the kitchen tools and food that is needed.
Kitchen tools that are needed:
1. Sharp knife (I prefer a butcher knife)
2. Cutting board
3. Heavy duty aluminum foil
1. 2 boneless chicken breasts (any chicken will do though)
2. 2-3 medium potatoes
3. 3-4 carrots (optional)
4. 3-4 sweet peppers (1/2 a sweet bell pepper)
5. 1/2 an onion
6. 2-3 cloves of garlic (2 tsp. minced garlic)
7. 1/2 a stick of butter
8. Your favorite chicken rub*
9. Black Pepper
*I really like a rub I found at Smiths which is the same as Fred Meyer and Kroger. It is called “Kicked Up Poultry.” It’s found with the other spices.
Step 2: Slice and Dice
1. Quarter potatoes lengthwise then slice about 1/4 inch thick
2. Slice carrots 1/4 inch thick
3. Dice* peppers
4. Dice* onion
5. Mince** garlic, unless using bottled garlic (which is already minced)
6. Wash chicken breasts and pat dry
Note: Make sure that your knife is good and sharp. This will reduce the time needed for cutting and will make things easier.
*For those unfamiliar, to dice a vegetable, you cut the vegetable into a 1/4 to 3/8 inch cubes.
**To mince, you cut vegetables into about 1/8 inch cubes.
Step 3: Putting It All Together
1. Lay out about 3 ft. of aluminum foil on the counter
2. Place chicken at one end of the foil
3. Sprinkle your rub liberally on the chicken
4. Flip chicken and repeat with other side
5. Pile up potatoes on top of chicken
6. Place the onion, garlic, and peppers on top of potatoes
7. Scatter the butter on top of everything
8. Sprinkle with more rub (to taste)
9. Fold over aluminum foil with the ends lining up*
10. With edges lining up, fold one edge over it’s self about 3/4 to 1 inch
11. Fold edge over again on it’s self making a tight seal
12. Repeat steps 10 and 11 again with the other two edges
Your meal is now all ready to be placed on the grill.
Note: The order makes it so that all of the flavors mix together to make one delicious meal. If adding carrots place them on with the potatoes. It's a great addition I just didn't have any in the fridge when I made the dish.
*Before folding over aluminum foil, make sure to have food at least 1 inch from each of the 3 sides of the foil. This will allow you to be able to fold sides and make a seal. The seal makes sure the steam will stay inside of the aluminum foil bag you will be making. The steam is what does most of the cooking.
Step 4: Time for the Grill
1. Heat up grill on high heat
2. Reduce medium-high*
3. Place your bag of food on grill over direct heat**
4. Allow to cook 20 to 30 minutes
5. Remove bag and carefully open***
6. Put a fork into the potatoes, if it enters easily and the potato breaks apart, it should be done
7. Stick chicken with a meat thermometer, internal temperature should be at least 165° F
Note: There are also two other methods you may use to cook the meal. 1. Place directly on middle rack in over at 425° F. 2. Place over hot coals from a fire or charcoal; just be careful not to have coals to hot or you will burn the bottom.
*You have the correct temperature if after about 5 minutes the bag is puffed up from the steam and you are able to hear the food sizzling.
**Direct heat will make sure you have enough heat and the bottom of the chicken will brown nicely.
***Use extreme caution when opening the bag; steam will be extremely hot and can cause burns.
Step 5: Conclusion: Serve and Enjoy
You are now ready to serve up a wonderful meal. You didn’t have to cook inside and have a full meal in front of you. If you need to feed more the recipe can easily be multiplied to make all that you will need. When increasing the recipe, you may need to make multiple aluminum foil bags. If you have any leftovers, they are great heated up the next day, especially the potatoes and vegetables. Enjoy!
Sorry about not getting a picture of the final project, I was extremely hungry and forgot to take a picture.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.