Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 whole chicken, cut up (or your favorite chicken pieces)
- 1 sleeve soda crackers - about 30 (saltines, water crackers, not sure what non-American equivalent is called, cream biscuits might work, but butter crackers are too buttery!)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry potato flakes (totally optional, but add a nice flavor)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite seasoning (I like any mix that includes rosemary for this dish!)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup peanut, grapeseed, or vegetable oil (I think peanut oil is my favorite for this so far, but the taste difference is really mild)
Step 2: The Smashing
Mix the bread crumbs with the potato flakes and seasonings.
Step 3: The Dredging
Beat the egg in another pie dish or bowl. Place the flour in a separate bowl.
Now, dredge each piece of chicken in the egg, the flour, and then in the crumbs, making sure each is well coated.
The best trick I can suggest for this is to use one hand for dipping in the egg mixture, and the other hand for dipping in the crumbs. Otherwise, your hands will quickly resemble pieces of fried chicken themselves.