Introduction: Easy Doorbell From Scrap Steel
Runner Up in the
Make Noise Challenge
I've had an empty small argon cylinder in my workshop for years, just waiting for inspiration to hit me with an idea to use it for.
Bells from old cylinders aren't new, but I finally decided to try to add my own mark to the idea.
Here is how to make your own. I hope you like my instructable.
Step 1: Materials and Equipment
As always there are always other ways to do things so use what you have available. Here's a guide.
- An old argon cylinder. Be bloody sure it never contained a flammable gas, and make sure it has no pressure in it.
- Steel rod, about 8mm diameter.
- Steel plate, about 100mm x 150mm of 3mm plate.
- Safety gear.
- Angle grinder with flap discs and cutting discs.
- Drill and bits.
Step 2: Prepare the Materials
- Cut the valve off the cylinder to make sure it's really empty.
- Cut the cylinder in half - to the length you wish your bell to be (you could make two bells from one cylinder).
- Use the angle grinder with flap discs to remove the paint.
- Drill the centre of the end to accommodate the rod.
- Clean any rust off the rod with the flap disc.
- Bend the rod approximately into the shape as shown in the pictures.
- Cut a small piece of rod to make a hook to hang the clanger (is that what it's called?) from.
- Use another piece of rod to make the clanger. Just bend a loop into one end to hang over the hook.
- Cut the plate to the size that suits a mounting plate for your bell.
- Clean up any rust with the flap disc.
- Drill holes for attaching the bell to a wall.
Test the sizes of all the pieces to make sure it looks right.
Step 3: Assemble the Bell
Carefully position the rod part on the mounting plate and weld it on.
Weld on the clanger hook.
Weld the bell part to the end of the rod.
Give it all a tidy with your grinder or wire brush as necessary.
You might like to coat it with paint or something to prevent rust. I used clear Penetrol.
Step 4: Conclusion
This simple bell can be mounted to a wall next to a door for a very loud and unique doorbell. Or it could be used in any number of other applications.
I hope you liked my instructable. If so you might like to vote for it in the contests. Click the button at the top right of your screen.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.