The topping is a bit like if a sugar cookie mated with a biscuit. It's delicious. It soaks up the juices but still stays firm, even after a couple of days in the fridge.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1/4-1/2 cup white sugar (depends on your preference and the sweetness of the fruit - I use more for apples, for example, and less for strawberries)
- 3-4 cups diced fruit (apples, plums, pears, berries of all kinds)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp desired spice - cinnamon and cardamom go well with most fruit
- up to 2 tbsp cornstarch (the juicier a fruit is, the more you use. using 2 tbs all the time is not a bad idea. :D)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla, optional
Step 2: Choose and cut up your fruit!
Try to get a minimum of 3 cups of fruit, though 4 cups is better because it'll cook down a bit!
Use any mixture you like - this time I'm using strawberries, blackberries and apples. Apples are a great filler and go well with most anything, so if you're low on something else, chuck in an apple. :D
Fruits that work well:
- plums (soooo good, even when they're not quite ripe!)
- berries of any kind