It's easy, takes less than 10 minutes, has no strange ingredients and uses no fancy machines.
A whisk, a bowl, and a pot are all you need!
Step 1: Ingredients
- 4 oz chocolate (1 organic dark chocolate bar - or 1/2 chocolate chips)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs (farm fresh is best)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cream (heavy or whipping - it's all good)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
Step 2: Melt the Chocolate
Whisk it to make smooth chocolate milk once melted.
Step 3: Whisk
3. Gradually whisk in 1 cup sugar. (this can be reduced if wanted - I've made some with 1/2 sugar and it still turns out fine.)
4. Whisk in 1 cup cream, 1 tsp vanilla, and a pinch of salt.
5. Whisk in the chocolate milk mixture.
Step 4: Freeze (and Flavour Variations)
Just pop the whole bowl in the freezer. I stir mine every couple of hours while it is freezing, but I've forgotten to do this sometimes and it still turns out fine.
It should be frozen and ready to enjoy, or scoop into a storage container in about 6 hours.
Omit the chocolate and use your imagination - some ideas are:
1. Nutmeg: Add one grated nutmeg (about 2 tbsps).
2. Coconut: Use canned coconut milk instead of cow's milk. You can even substitute it for the cream as well if you want dairy free ice cream. It still comes out very smooth and yummy.
3. Mango (or any fruit): Puree in blender or just chop as desired and whisk in before freezing.