Introduction: Easy Homemade Clarified Butter (Ghee)
Easy Homemade Clarified Butter (Ghee) is used in most of the Indian food preparations because of its taste and aroma. It has healthy saturated fat unlike many of the vegetable oils found in the market and hence it is also healthy to eat. In this Instructable, I would like to show you how to prepare a simple easy homemade clarified butter with the texture as the store bought one. Prepare and enjoy!!!
Step 1: Ingredients
1) Unsalted Butter - 454 grams
2) Water - 2 Tsp
Step 2: Points to Be Noted (Important)
1) Use a clean and dry heavy bottom pan and spatula.
2) Either refrigerated butter or room temperature butter can be used. Room temperature butter melts faster.
3) Clean and dry air tight container is needed for storage. Preferably glass container.
4) Use clean and dry spoon to use/spread the clarified butter to avoid contamination.
4) Fine Mesh filter is required to filter the clarified butter.
5) Filter it as soon the clarified butter is formed. Don't allow it to rest in the pan the clarified butter is made as it becomes difficult to filter the milk solids once it starts to solidify.
6) Don't close the jar after filtering the hot clarified butter as water droplets will be formed on the lid which will contaminate the clarified butter.
7) Clarified butter can be stored in your kitchen cabinet (away from light, not on the counter) for up to 3 months.
8) When made in large quantity, place the clarified butter(lid tightly closed) into the refrigerator and can be used up to an year.
Step 3: Making Clarified Butter
1) Place a heavy bottom pan on medium heat and add the unsalted butter to it.
2) Once the butter starts melting keep on stirring so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan or burn.
3) Initially there will be a milky layer formed on the top of the melted butter. (that is when the melted butter is starting to boil)
4) Keep on stirring continuously the boiling butter, still having it on medium heat till it changes from a milky texture to golden color translucent liquid. There will be some milk solids formed at the bottom.
5) Then reduce the heat from medium to low.When the sizzling in the translucent liquid stops then sprinkle 2 -3 Tsp water in it.(This is done to obtain a grainy texture of the clarified butter as the store bought one. If you require a soft texture then don't add water)
6) Once the sizzling caused by adding water stops then filter the clarified butter and store in the glass container. (don't close the jar lid till it cools down )
7) Allow it to rest undisturbed for 10-12 hours or overnight for it to solidify.
Clarified Butter / Ghee is ready !
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.