Today I will show you how to build an IR detector using an IR sensor. Its is easily modifiable, and a cool and quick project to undertake. I hope you enjoy it!
Step 1: Parts
For this Instructable, you will need:
- IR sensor(1)
- Piezo element(1)
- Jumpers(at least 10)
- Resistor 220 ohm(1)
- 9 volt battery(1)
- clip on power wires for 9 bolt battery(1)
It will probably take about 10 to 30 minutes to complete this project.
Step 2: IR Sensors
Before I show you how to build the detector itself, Its probably a good idea to show you what one looks like and how to use one. I have attached an image of the sensor to help out with that. The pins are labeled ground, V-out and Vs. Ground is where you attach the ground cable, Vs is where you attach the positive cable, and Vout is where the sensor can complete the circuit. If you still don't understand, I recommend going to Adafruit.com and searching IR sensor tutorials and that will really help.
Step 3: Assembly
So, the project is pretty simple. The steps are below.
- Take the 9 volt battery and plug it into the power buses of the breadboard.
- Place the IR detector in the small buses of the breadboard.
- Connect the ground (GND)lead to the negative power bus with a jumper.
- Connect the positive (vS) pin of the detector to the positive power bus.
- Connect the output (OUT) lead to the anode of the LED using the 220 ohm resistor.
- Connect the cathode of the LED to the the positive power bus. (This would be a test circuit for the IR sensor).
- Connect a jumper from the OUT pin of the sensor to the negative lead of the piezo buzzer.
- Connect a jumper from the positive power bus to the positive lead of the piezo buzzer.
Thats all the steps you need to build an IR detector, and the circuit should end up looking like this:
Step 4: Extra
Using the same basic design, you could all kind of other outputs to control with your IR sensor. You could connect to and H-Bridge motor driver and build a simple robot. The possibilities are endless. Alright, thanks for reading and I hope that this intractable helped you out.