I tried using the painter's tape supplied, but it just ripped around big builds and left me with the spatula problem again.
Here's my workaround, (maybe this is the plan--just not communicated clearly to me) which allows for easy one hand removal of prints. Instead of sticking the painter's tape entirely to the build platform, only stick the edges. I used parchment paper (for baking cookies, available at grocery stores) under the tape in the middle of the build rectangle. Tape stuck only to the edges of a sheet appears to create a stable build environment.
In other words, all the print head sees is painter's tape--so it's happy. Under the entire print area, there is no tape sticking to the platform, so the print will remove by just peeling tape away from the outer edges--then print removal is like lifting a sheet of paper.