This is a great, easy pie especially for people who only make pie once a year. While pumpkin pie is the traditional pie for Thanksgiving unless you are a fairly experienced pie maker the top can crack and decorations can be under or over cooked. This recipe makes the cracking much less likely and, with a few tricks all the pieces of pie crust will be backed to perfection!
The filling recipe is one I've modified just a bit each time I make it. It's my own now.
Step 1: The Crust
1. Use your food processor.
2. Find a recipe that uses vodka (or applejack for apple pies).
3. Use lard.
For my recipe I did the following:
1. Unrolled my pie crust into my pi pan,
2. The crust needs to reach all the way over the lip of the pie pan and into the "corners" but, don't pull on it or it will shrink when it bakes.
3. Blind bake the crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Blind bake: Blind baking means to back the crust with no filling.
1. Cover the pan with foil.
2. Add pie weights or dry beans to the foil.
3. Put in oven.