Introduction: Easy Purse Organiser
If you are anything like me, I bet you have random things floating around your bag that are all necessary but have no pocket to put into. If yes then fear no more! Below is an easy way to create your own purse organizer (or organisation wallet if you may) that you can put your random bits into.
Step 1: You Will Need
- Felt: The reason I used felt is because it is very easy to work with. Since felt does not fray, there is no need to fold its ends over. and secondly it has a bit of stretch to it so things fit into it snug. You could use ant durable fabric, or even leather.
- A bright colored cotton fabric: This is completely optional. I used it to add some color to my wallet.
- Velcro: Again I used Velcro because it is rather easy to sew on, but i suppose you could use magnetic buttons or any other method of enclosure.
- General sewing supplies and of course a sewing machine
Step 2: Cut It Up!
Now for the fun part! You will need to cut your fabric into four:
- The largest piece- cut this piece according to however large you would like your organizer to be. I cut mine to be 9 inches in length and 5.5 inches in breadth.
- The pocket- the breadth of this piece will determine how deep you pocket will be, length remains the same as that of the larger piece. Mine is 4.5 inches deep.
- The enclosure strap- this is the piece you would sew your Velcro onto. I cut mine 4 inches long and 1.5 inch in breadth. Feel free to adjust this as you need.
- The key loop- if like me you wish to attach a key loop, then cut a small piece 1,5 inches long about 0.25 inches in breadth.
- Also cut long strips of your cotton fabric about 2 inches wide and a small piece of Velcro.
Step 3: Prep the Pocket
I wanted my pocket to pop out a bit so i added quiet a thick piping at the top.
Start out with the pocket and cut the long piece of cotton fabric so that they are both equal in length.
Then the right side of the cotton fabric on the back side of the pocket and sew about 1cm below the top edge. Once sewed on, fold the fabric over so that right side in revealed.
Turning the entire piece over fold the exposed wrong side of cotton into half. then fold the cotton over the felt and sew!
Step 4: Attach the Enclosure
Start out by taking the enclosing strap, and sew on one piece of Velcro onto the edge of the strap.
Then attach this strap onto the main 'frame' so that the strap of about 1.5 inches inside the edge.
I forgot to take a photo, but then fold the organizer in half and sew on the other piece of Velcro on the other side of the frame.
Step 5: Sew on the Pocket
Now place the pocket on the inside of the main frame and sew along the side of the pocket about a cm from the edge.
Now pipe three sides of the organizer the same way we did the pocket.
Step 6: Attach the Key Hook
Sew on the fabric strip on the top edge of the organizer. But before sewing the second stitch fit in a small hook looped onto a piece of felt as shown in the pictures.
And viola! You now have yourself an organizer!
Step 7: The Finished Product!
I love the size of it. It isn't too big so that it causes clutter in my bag, but large enough to carry essentials.
With the holiday season just round the corner it would also be a great handmade gift!
So get sewing! :D
If you like this project, please check out my blog.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.