This is a pipe I made purely for the purpose of killing time. It is easy and relatively quick to make, and requires minimal tools. Obviously, use your common sense, smoking is bad for you, don't take up smoking, all that stuff. I assume if you're old enough to use a drill, you're old enough to make good choices. I have all the steps covered so that anyone can make this with a bit of patience. Comment if there are any questions or suggestions for other beginner projects.
Step 1: Gather Supplies
1. Wood. (I used a tree branch)
2. Saw. (I used a hand saw, but a bandsaw would be easier)
3. Drill press. (You could use a hand drill but make sure you have a vice or something like it to hold the pieces steady)
4. Pocket knife.
5. Wood glue (I used gorilla glue)
6. A good pair or gloves, preferably cut resistant, are a good thing to have while carving.
7. Some water based stain.
8. Some water based varnish.
9. A bit of honey.
10. Some ash.
Step 2: Get Your Wood
The wood I used was from a tree in my backyard. The wood was quite green, and I don't recommend this because it is harder to drill and carve. The wood you use cannot be treated with anything like building grade 2x4s. they are treated with chemicals you don't want to be setting on fire. Make sure the wood is thick enough in diameter to have a reasonable pipe bowl drilled into it. Cut the wood into two pieces. The thicker of the two will be your pipe bowl, and the thinner will be the stem.