Get out your stain, make sure it's water based. I used General Finishes' "Black Cherry" for the one in the pictures. It has to be water based due to ...
This is a pipe I made purely for the purpose of killing time. It is easy and relatively quick to make, and requires minimal tools. Obviously, use your common sense, smoking is bad for you, don't take up smoking, all that stuff. I assume if you're old enough to use a drill, you're old enough to make good choices. I have all the steps covered so that anyone can make this with a bit of patience. Comment if there are any questions or suggestions for other beginner projects.
Step 1: Gather Supplies
1. Wood. (I used a tree branch)
2. Saw. (I used a hand saw, but a bandsaw would be easier)
3. Drill press. (You could use a hand drill but make sure you have a vice or something like it to hold the pieces steady)
4. Pocket knife.
5. Wood glue (I used gorilla glue)
6. A good pair or gloves, preferably cut resistant, are a good thing to have while carving.
7. Some water based stain.
8. Some water based varnish.
9. A bit of honey.
10. Some ash.