Introduction: Easy Stuffed French Toast Shapes.
Who doesn't love cookies shaped like people? So why not french toast, and why not fill that french toast with a delicious, home made fruity spread? This is a high energy, low difficulty meal that you will be proud to call your own.
Step 1: A Few Helpful Tips, Before You Start.
1. Any bread is good to use, but plain white bread, or thick cut brioche is best. For all intensive purposes, ill be showing how to do it with plain white bread.
2. With a thick cut (1"+) bread, the best way to do this is to slice the bread through the middle, but not all the way through and pipe the filling in. With reglar white bread, its easiest to just make what is essentially a sandwich. Bread on top and bottom, filing in the middle.
3. This whole process will require two frying pans, one medium sized bowl, a cutting board, a knife, and a plate with utensils for dining.
This recipe is for two people, and will only take about 30 minutes, start to finish.
Step 2: The Filling.
The filling is almost as simple as can be. You will need:
- cream cheese
- 10 medium strawberries
- granulated white sugar
This process is very easy. Coarsely dice about 15 strawberries, until you have all pieces less than 1cmx1cm. Add those strawberry chunks to a small frying pan on medium heat. Immediately add 2 tbsp. of white sugar, and 3 tbsp. of warm water, stirring ocasionally. Cook until strawberries are tender, about 5 min, and place in bowl while still hot. Stir in 5 tbsp. cream cheese, and a hint of vanilla, and mix until mixture is homogeneous in colour, excluding the strawberry chunks.
Step 3: Egg Mix for the Bread.
This is the 'custard' that you will dip your bread in. No cooking involved.
You will need:
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. kahlua
- a hint of vanilla extract
- a hint of nutmeg
- a pinch of cinnamon sugar
- 1/3 cup milk.
Mix all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl with a fork, ensuring all yolks are broken and eggs stirred well.
Step 4: Frying the Bread.
Add 3 tbsp. butter to a medium sized frying pan, and melt butter on medium heat. Dunk each individual piece of bread in the egg mixture one by one, on both sides, ensuring that bread is completely soaked. Place on pan and cook until golden brown. This should only take a few minutes, and I would suggest frying only two pieces at a time. Flip each piece at least 3 times.
Step 5: Carving and Stuffing Your Shapes.
Carving and stuffing your French toast people is where you get to have all the fun. If you are using the thick cut Brioche bread, it would be best to carve your shapes out, slice down the side of the bread and then pipe in your filling. If you are using plain white bread, stack two pieces on top of each other, and carefully cut out your desired shape with a sharp knife. Following this, with a knife spread your filling onto on side of both pieces of bread, and stick them together, and that's it. Repeat for the other two pieces.
Step 6: Plating.
After your shapes are carved, place your masterpiece on an empty plate, and follow it with a sprinkling of icing sugar, a drizzle of maple syrup, and fresh berries. Voila.