The ingredients Martha suggests are as follows:
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Five strips 1-inch-wide orange peel, pith removed
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped assorted nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, and pistachios
To simplify I suggest replacing orange rind with a splash of juice, if you have it around, and cardamom for your favorite seasoning that you also happen to have around. I found those to be the two ingredients that left me with stuff I had to figure out how to use up. (Yes, in the end, I just ate the orange. But I prefer Satsumas.) In the end though, I admit, the cardamom added a killer flavor, and I'm excited to find ways to use it up.
Also the heavy cream can be replaced with evaporated milk, giving you the ability to replace some of the fat as well!