It is very easy to create beautiful, natural wooden ornaments. This method can be used to create these ornaments out of an assortment of materials, and using several different construction methods depending on what you have available to you:
- Laser cutting
- CNC milling
- Scroll / Band saw
- Hobby saw (by hand!)
Laser cutting is the simplest, but I'll go over the extra steps needed to use a CNC machine.
I used several types of 1/8" hardwoods to make these; specifically African Mahogany and Walnut.
Step 1: Create Your Star / Snowflake Design
Step 2: Create the Notch for Interlocking
For my 1/8" wood, I made a 1/8" notch in the star that went down to the middle of the star. If you want the file I used specifically, you can get it here.
Step 3: [Milling Only] Generate Tool Paths
- Upload the SVG file by going toFile -> Open SVG File
- Click on the shape and go to CAM -> Profile Operation
- Input your bit size, material depth and feed rate settings, and click Ok
- Click CAM -> calculate all
- Click CAM -> export gcode