Introduction: Easy As Pi(e) - Apple and Blackberry
This tantalisingly tasty BlackBerry and Apple Pie is perfect for any budding genius, (you'll need your calculator to workout the recipe). With the hearty apples and the blackberry, nobody would criticise you if you went back for a second piece.
Ingredients (In terms of Pi)
Plain Flour - 100π (314g)
Cold Margarine(cubed) - 50π (157g)
Brown Sugar - π tbsp (to the nearest whole number)
Water - 2π tbsp (to the nearest whole number)
Bramley Apples - 2π (to the nearest whole number)
Blackberries - 30π (95g)
Caster Sugar - π tsp (to the nearest whole number)
1.Begin by weighing out all your ingredients.
2.Sift the flour into the bowl and then add the cubed margarine. Rub these ingredients together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add the brown sugar and combine well.
4. Make a well in the middle of the bowl and gradually add the cold water, mix between each addition (you can use your hands to do this)
4. Once the pastry has come together, gather into a ball and then turn out onto a floured work surface.
5. Split the ball in two and set one half to the side.
6. Using a rolling pin, roll out one half of the dough to be about 1cm thick. Spread over the pie tin and then trim the edges using a butter knife. Set this to one side.
7. Now, peel, core and dice the apples and pat dry on a kitchen towel. (This will stop the base of the pie from becoming soggy!)
8. Assemble the apples and the blackberries on the base of the pie. Try to spread them out as evenly as possible.
9. Roll out the other half of the pastry and cover the fruit. Again, trim of the excess.
10. Squish the trimmings into a ball and roll out flat. Using your number cutters, cut out the numbers of pi, the circumference of the pie will determine how many digits you will need.
11. Arrange the numbers around the outside of the pie, sticking them on with a little bit of milk.
12. Finally, glaze the whole pie with milk and cut a little slit in the top to let the steam out.
13. Pop in the oven for about 25mins at 180°C
14. Remove from the oven and serve warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
Easy as Pi(e)!!