This recipe also uses a whole chicken, which is cheaper. You won't need to buy expensive sodium-laden chicken broths for this. No sir!
This recipe does take a while to make (about 2 hours), but most of it is time spent simmering so you can do something else during it... like make homemade chocolate cream pie. Which is exactly what we did. Full instructabilization here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Chocolate-cream-pie/
You can also use this recipe to make chicken noodle soup - just up the veggies and add egg noodles at the end instead! Hooray!
Step 1: Ingredients
- 3 stalks of celery + leaves
- 2 carrots or a couple handfuls of baby carrots
- 1/4-1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 small to medium onion
- 3+ cloves of garlic (to taste)
- 3 lb. whole fresh chicken
- salt, pepper and parsley to taste
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- pinch of dried or fresh parsley and dried sage
- bit of salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 2 tbsp of broth to make a wet dough
- a pan large enough to fit the chicken and a considerable amount of dumplings
- cutting board
- measuring cups
- mixing bowls
- a table spoon
Step 2: Prep work: chicken!
My mom suggests that you cut off the "butt fat" where the tail feathers where and to also trim the skin around the neck area. This will get rid of extra fat in the soup.
Also check and make sure that the bird has been properly plucked - having feather bits in your soup is not a good thing. Mom says to especially check under the arms!
Now put the chicken in a large pot, breast up! Add water just to cover. Put it on the stove and bring it to a boil. While it's coming to a boil, move on to the next step.
I hope this step includes enough naked chicken pictures for everyone. :)