The finalists for the Paracord Contest have been selected ! Congratulations to everyone who got picked, and thanks to all those who submitted an Instructable - there's some awesome creativity going on out there :)
Welcome to this paracord Instructable !
I first discovered this awesome material through stormdrane's Instructables and quickly got hooked - lanyards, bracelets, handles, I even went so far as to knit it (great result by the way, you should try it) ! The paracord contest I'm entering with this Instructable has shown me how much people around the world are doing awesome, elaborate stuff with their paracord but I thought I'd go a different route and offer you guys something geeky, easy and that can be done on the side of a table :)
I use a lot of flash drives, if only to try out Linux live CDs thanks to Unetbootin or to move my pupils' data from one computer to the other and over time, the glue that holds the case together tends to give up on me. So I came up with what I thought would be a quick fix until I get to make a set of USB chess pieces for my father...And for the last 2 years, these paracord-adorned babies have never shown a sign of wear, so I kept them that way.
Interested ? Then...On to the next step !
Step 1: What You'll Need
- Paracord, obviously ! For 1 flash drive, 80 to 90 centimeters (about 3 feet) are necessary ;
- A pair of scissors (gnawing paracord with your teeth won't work) ;
- A USB flash drive, yup ;
- A lighter to melt the ends of the paracord and seal it.
All green ? Let's get started !
Step 2: Remove the Casing (or What's Left of It)
Once this is done, on to the next step : measuring and cutting your cord !
Step 3: Measure Your Paracord and Cut
Step 4: Make a Loop...
And now for the braiding...On to the next step !
Step 5: ...Then Start (and Keep) Braiding !
- Take the flash drive on top of the folded paracord, and make a loop to the left with the right-side half of paracord. It should then come under the flash drive and to its right (see picture 1) ;
- Take the left-side thread of paracord, make it go in a loop to the right, under the thread that went out to the right, and then over the drive into the loop (see picture 2) ;
- Tighten it all up together (picture 3), then repeat the steps from picture 1 and 2 on the other side of the flash drive (picture 4) ;
- Keep going alternating left and right and left and right, until you reach the end of the flash drive (see picture 5) !
It might be difficult at first, and the first knots will look ugly - but don't worry, it'll look better as you train and as you keep braiding ! Once you're done, time to cut, trim and seal the cord - in the next step !
Step 6: Trim and Burn
Step 7: You're Done !
That's about it for today - I hope this little Instructable will have given you a taste for continuing to explore all the things you can do with paracord. Good luck to everyone entering the contest and happy braiding !