This originally came off the side of a Kroger brand cereal box, and then my friend George (baking lady extraordinaire) messed with it and passed it on to me during one of our baking nights.
I have continued to have a go at it. I love this recipe because I always have everything on hand. You don't need eggs or milk and it's amazingly low maintenance. Plus: no cholesterol, low in fat, made with bran flakes AND can be made with whole wheat flour and it just begs for the addition of lots of fresh fruit.
Makes 12 muffins. Takes around 30 minutes from start to finish!
Step 1: Ingredients!
- 1 C bran flakes
- 1/4 cup soy milk OR juice
- 1 C all purpose flour OR 1/2 C AP flour & 1/2 C whole wheat flour OR 1 C whole wheat flour
- 1/2 sugar (can be white or brown or half and half - or use 1/4 C agave nectar)
- 1/4 C canola oil
- 2/3 cup apple sauce (unsweetened, make sure there are no added ingredients)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
The more whole wheat flour you use, the flatter the muffins will be.
Substituting the soy milk for orange, pineapple, lemon juice, etc. leads to a chewier result!
The muffins are done when they're golden brown and springy to the touch.
As far as add-ins:
- 1 tsp+ of spice - any combination of spices... this is your call depending on what else you're putting in - you could even go without if you're going for chocolate.
- 1 C fresh or frozen fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.
Step 2: Hardware!
- oven preheated to 375 F
- muffin pan
- one large bowl and one small bowl
- large wooden or plastic spoon
- variety of measuring cups and spoons
- cooking spray or paper cups for lining pan