Everyone loves a good eel now and then, but it seems they have become something of a rarity in the shops! Most British streams and rivers are "teeming" with eels however, and there are several ways of getting them from out of the water, and into your pot.
Step 1: The theory
Step 2: What you need
1. A cloth bag, or if you are poor like me, a stolen t-shirt
2. Some hay or straw or newspaper
3. Bait. Can be offal, rabbit blood, your own blood, or a 12lb steak, or a pork chop depending on how much you want to waste your money on something that will end up at the bottom of a river with eels writhing around amongst it.
4. If using a t-shirt, you'll also need some string
5. and scissors or a knife to cut it with
6. somebody who doesnt mind having their arm savaged, or a leather glove, or an ounce of carefulness and common sense. (eels get rather "bitey"