Chemistry is my new hobby (very new) so forgive me if I make mistakes in terminology, or worse.
Step 1: Materials
1. Steel wool. (I use Grade #0000 Other grades will work but I use the finest for faster results)
You can get this at any paint store, including the paint department at Wal-Mart.
2. A flat, non-reactive, non-porous, clean surface to work on. (I use the glass tray from an old microwave.)
3. 2 spray bottles. (1 if you don't use salt)
One of these should be non-transparent because it will hold hydrogen peroxide and any light will quickly cause decomposition of the peroxide. You can buy small dark bottles of peroxide at most drug stores, including Wal-Mart.
4. Table Salt. (optional)
A cup or so will last a while for most people.
5. 3% (or higher) Hydrogen Peroxide.
6. A plastic spoon (or something like it)
7. A magnet that will fit in your spoon (or whatever) without protruding over the edge.