Step 2: Making your Gingerbread Cupcakes
1. Mix the flour, spices and salt in a bowl
2. In a separate bowl, cream 1/2 stick of the butter. Add the sugar to the butter and beat well until it's fluffy.
3. Add in the molasses an egg to the wet mixture.
4. In a measuring cup combine the baking soda with 1/2 cup boiling water and stir the mixture to dissolve the baking soda. Stir the mixture into the wet mixture (the mixture will appear curdled).
5. Incorporate the flour mixture into the molasses and stir to combine.
6. Line twelve muffin tins with paper liners and spoon the batter into the liners, filling them halfway. Bake the cupcakes in the middle of a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
7. Remove the cupcakes from the tin and let them cool.