Egg free dishes are preferred by vegans and lacto-vegetarians. Since pasta is usually made by adding eggs into the batter, ready made pasta from store can not be used by such persons. Moreover, eggs are rich in cholesterol and should be avoided especially by those having higher levels of bad cholesterol (LDL). A home made ravioli pasta is prepared with this in mind.
Step 1: Ingredients
You will require whole wheat flour and not the all purpose flour for this recipe.
For the cover
Whole wheat flour 1 cup
! tea spoon oil and pinch of salt
Onions cut finely 1 tbsp
Cabbage shredded 1 tbsp
Tomato 1 medium size
Mushrooms 1/2 cup cut into halves
Cottage cheese 1 tbsp
Step 2: How to Proceed
1. Make a batter using whole wheat flour, salt oil and water and kneed to get smooth and soft consistency. Keep the batter covered with cloth for 2 hrs.
2. Saute the ingredients by adding onions, cabbage, tomato, cottage cheese and mushrooms in that order. Add salt and cut cilantro.
3. Make the small balls of the batter. Roll two balls into thin rectangles. keep one aside and spread one tea spoon of filling at 6 places. Cover with the other rectangle and press around the filling. No water is needed since this is fresh pasta batter. Now cut into 6 small rectangles carefully. Make other pieces similarly.
4. Slightly oil the surface of the steamer with oil spray and transfer the filled ravioli into steamer. Steam for about 10-12 minutes until the pasta turns transparent from opaque.
5. Transfer into oven safe container, spread some cheese. Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes.