I get tired of the same old eggs benedict on every brunch menu and decided to mix things up a bit in this re-imagined version.
The traditional english muffin base is being replaced by a circle of Baked Cheese Grits. Once baked, the grits have a nice crunch on top and bottom while retaining a savory creamy center. Canadian bacon is switched out with Pan-Fried Panko Breaded SPAM. Yes, SPAM! I grew up on this stuff and wait till you taste it with the Panko Breadcrumb coating. It really takes it to a new level. To top all this off, I've created a Bearnaise Egg to replace the usual Hollandaise sauce. This eliminates some butter, but the Panko Crusted SPAM makes up for this loss.(Hehehehe)
Bon Apetit Y'all!
Step 1: Ingredients & Equipment
Baked Cheese Grits:
1 Quart Milk
1 Cup Grits
1 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese
3/4 Cup Shredded parmesan cheese
Panko Breaded SPAM:
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
2 Eggs beaten
Oil for Frying (I use Canola Oil)
1 tsp Tarragon Vinegar
1/2 tsp Dried or Fresh Tarragon
Dash Salt (Sea Salt is what I use most)
Dash White Pepper
1 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp water
Medium Sauce Pan
Assorted Cooking Utensils (spoons, spatulas, whisk, ect...)
Medium Saute Pan
Small saute pan with lid
Step 2: Step 1: Making the Cheese Grits
- Add Milk and Salt to Saucepan. Bring to boil
- Add the grits to the boiling milk. Stir till grits thicken.
- Add the cottage cheese and beat into the grits.
- Then add the shredded parmesan cheese and combine well.
- Spray the baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour grits into the baking pan. Level out grits.
- Bake 35-40 mins at 400°F.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
Step 3: Step 2: Pan-Fried Panko Crusted SPAM
- Slice SPAM into 1/4" thick slices.
- Fill a baggie with the all-purpose flour and another with the panko breadcrumbs.
- Put 2 slices of spam in the flour filled baggies and shake to cover.
- Then dip the flour dusted SPAM pieces into the 2 beaten eggs. Coat well.
- Then place the egg dipped SPAM into the baggie with the Panko Breadcrumbs and shake the bag to cover.
- Put a 1/2" of the frying oil in a saute pan and bring to frying temperature.
- Place breaded span in hot oil.
- Turn once to get nicely golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
Step 4: Step 3: the Bearnaise Egg
- Separate the yolks and whites.
- Add tarragon vinegar, tarragon, salt, white pepper to the egg whites.
- Melt the butter in a small saute pan.
- Add the egg whites to the pan.
- Gently add the yolks on top of the whites.
- Add 3 Tbsp water the the pan and cover to baste the eggs.
Step 5: Step 4: Stack It All Together
- Cut a large square of the Baked Cheese Grits and place in the center of a plate.
- Place the Panko Crusted SPAM on top of the grits.
- Slide the Bearnaise Egg on top of the SPAM.