To make this cake, I first had to create the template. I traced a guitar. It took 4 sheets of 8x11 paper. I scanned the tracings, put them together and shrunk the body of the guitar to fit on one 8x11 sheet of paper.
I also traced the head of the guitar and shrunk it down to be (somewhat) proportional to the base. Both the head and the body templates I used are attached below. You'll need to print them both and cut them out before placing them on your cake and carving.Materials:1 baked and cooled 9x13 cakeGuitar template
(you can get it below)Small Knife
(optional)1 container icing (any flavor)
– I used vanilla just in case some icing just in case I had any icing to show through the fondant on the finished cake. It didn’t.Spatula
– for icing the cake1 full batch of marshmallow fondant
– (recipe from What's Cooking America
) I did not color the fondant but I did flavor it with almond flavoring. You could use purchased fondant instead of making it. I would guess you would need to buy a couple pounds to be on the safe side – It can be white. The cake is painted later.Rolling Pin
CornstarchLarge Cake Board -
the one you see pictured is a 14" x 21" silver colored cardboard cake board that usually costs under $3 at a party store or craft store. *Red food coloring gel
- I used Wilton’s no-taste red gelBlack food coloring gelAlmond or clear vanilla flavoring
- don’t use regular vanilla unless you are making a brown or black guitar. The brown in the vanilla will discolor your colorsWilton Silver "Pearl Dust"
Wilton Gold "Pearl Dust"
(optional) - just a small amount of this was used to paint text on the headstock of the guitar3 Small Paint Brushes
(or you could just use the same one over and over)3 Small Bowls
– for mixing your “paint”Silver Dragees -
these little silver balls can be really hard to find nowdays. It might be best to get them somewhere online.Metallic Silver Embroidery Floss -
this is for the "strings". I tried wire. It didn't work.Toothpicks
- lots*If you don't want to buy a large cake board, you could cover a large sheet of wrapping paper (front and back) with clear contact paper. It's washable and easily rolled up for storing. AND you can match it to any birthday party. If you ever need to move your cake while using this method, slide a large flat baking sheet under the paper and lift your cake.