I knew that I would need additional traction for the rear wheel. I did do one test run out on the frozen lake with the stock wheel, and found that it was very difficult to ride the scooter, as the wheel would "fish-tail" so easily. (Step 6 includes a video of the scooter's maiden voyage, BEFORE I had the spiked tire.)
The challenge is that there is very little clearance between the wheel and the frame of the scooter - only just over one-half inch.
I first tried making "tire chains" out of plastic zip-ties. Some sort of "tire chain" would only go around the outside of the tire - an easy modification which wouldn't damage the tire. I was surprised at how the heads protruded and would rub on the frame. So, I decided against the "tire-chain" mod, and instead focused on studding the tire.
I decided what was really needed was spikes. Looking through my hardware drawer, I found some self-tapping sheet metal screws. They were only 1/2" long. To install the screws on the tire, I would have to remove the wheel, disassemble it, and pull the rim and tube.
After removing the wheel from the scooter, I let the air out of the tube and then took out the four screws that hold together the two halves of the rim.
Using plastic bicycle tire irons, I pried the rim out of the tire. The other half of the rim was easier to remove by setting over a can and pushing down on the tire.
I then pulled the inner tube out.
I decided that I wanted one tire stud about every inch. Since the tire diameter is a little less than 8", the circumference is roughly 24", so I needed 24 screws for the tire.
I put a screw on the magnetic bit driver on my cordless drill and pushed it into the inside of the tire, drilling from the inside out. I tried to make the screw neither centered on the tire, nor too far to the outside, and then alternated sides. This should maximize traction while turning, while preventing the screws from scraping the frame of the scooter.
I continued installing screws through the inside of the tire, spacing them out by an inch and alternating sides. I found that putting in a spacer (in this case, a socket) to hold the tire open made it easier to do.
Once all the screws were in, I cut a length of old scrap bicycle tubing. I inserted the scrap tube inside the tire to cover the heads of the screws and make a liner to prevent wear on the scooter's inner tube.
I then reassembled the tube and both rim halves, and filled the tire with air.
Once everything looked good, I mounted the wheel back onto the scooter.
The next couple of steps cover a few things that I had to do because this was a junked scooter. If your scooter works fine otherwise, you can go straight to using it now, or at least skip to videos
of me playing with mine!