For that matter, why re-invent the candle? It's been around forever, works every time, and does what is says on the box! The Egyptians and Cretans were using candles made from beeswax, as early as 3000 BC. This Instructable then is really just a homage to an invention that has been around since the start of the Bronze Age when man first built cities and started to write.
So without further ado, please find below my attempt to improve on something that doesn't need improving on, whilst stealing someone else’s clever circuit (and idea) just so I can say "why re-invent the mousetrap?"
Step 1: Things to Gather
- Copper (any size copper wire will do, as long as you can bend it easily)
- Led candle (you can get these on eBay here or at any $2 shop)
***A note on the LED Candle***
These are really simple but cool idea which allows a led light to flicker just like a candle. The circuit is quite simple and if you feel up to it you can also make your own. Check out Make Magazines one here
- Light globes (the best are the ones used for the rear lights in cars)
- Solar panel (min 4.5v)
- 3 x AAA re-chargeable batteries
- Red and black wires
- Soldering iron
- Pliers (all types, especially needle nose ones)
- Hot glue gun