- AC power cord
- Thick copper wire
- Cut and strip the power cord. Wrap together the neutral and ground wires. Cut the live wire about 6 inches shorter than the neutral/ground. This will reduce accidental shorts.
- Cut 2 pieces of thick copper wire, about 3 inches long I used a piece pulled from a household electrical wire (the kind that go in the wall)
- Stick the wires in the pickle
- Connect the AC power cord to the copper wires. I've used a cheap set of jumper cables between the power cord and the pickle.
- Plug the the power cord into an electrical outlet.
- Wait for the pickle to glow. It took about 10 seconds to get going.
- Unplug everything.
- Be careful -- safety eighth!
The sodium in the pickle burns yellow. Yellow street lights are sodium-vapor lamps.