This is an Instructable to modify a Monopoly board game.
I started with a special edition Monopoly board and added a Community Chest, a water tower (for the water company), a Ray Gun (for the Chance cards), a train (for the railroads), and street lights (for the electric company). I used reed switches and magnets for the triggers when you land on designated spots on the board.
This project required a lot of different things. I will provide a supply list for each part of the project as I go.
*** The pictures have a lot of information *** I'm better at showing the steps than describing what to do.
Here is a basic set of things you will need for this project.
- Wire (I used phone wire - 6 colored wires for color coding)
- Glue - Elmer's, Wood glue, and a Goop/E6000 style glue
- Shrink Tubing
- Heat gun
- Assorted LED's of your choice
- Solder/Solder Iron or Gun
- Box cutter
- Wire stripper/cutter
- Batteries 3V and 9V
- Dust Mask
- Safety Glasses
- Reed switches
- magnets (very strong)
Step 1: Construct the Ray Gun
I made a ray gun to hold the chance cards.
Here are the supplies I used:
- Paper Mache egg
- Toy Gun (Cap Gun)
- Wooden base
- Blue LED
- Cardstock paper
- Wooden rings (for decoration)
Take the gun apart. I took the part that holds the "bullets" out of the gun as well as the orange cap at the nose of the gun.
I cut the egg to fit over the gun. This required cutting a hole for the nose of the gun and one for the handle. I cut a line between these holes to get the egg onto the gun that I later covered with paper and painted over.
For the LED nose of the ray gun, I took a blue LED and wrapped wire around each lead. I put shrink tubing over the exposed wires and heated it with a heat gun to secure it. The wire pieces were long enough to reach from the LED to under the game board when assembled.
NOTE: I keep a 3v battery handy to check my wiring connections before I shrink the tubing. It saves time figuring out what the problem is if something isn't working.
For decoration, I used blue craft wire and wound it around the wires coming from the LED. I added 2 wooden disks that I painted silver for accent. For added separation between the wooden disk and the egg, I used cardstock to create an extension (to cover the nose of the gun).
I painted the egg silver to match the gun.
I cut a hole large enough for the Chance cards to sit in.
I then stained and varnished a wooden base to attach the gun to.
After the base was dry I used an L shaped bracket to secure the gun to the base. I drilled a hole through the base for the wires for the LED to pass through.