How to Electrocute a Pickle (Starring Jim Cramer)

7,110

7

13

Posted in HomeLife-skills

Introduction: How to Electrocute a Pickle (Starring Jim Cramer)

The Electric Pickle chemistry demonstration is a way for students to see how excited electrons will emit light when they fall back to the ground state. Since pickles are soaked in salt, Na+ and Cl- ions are present. Thus pickle will conduct electricity. The Na+ when excited will emit an orange yellow color when the electrons fall to the ground state. If I were a Physics teacher I could use the demonstration to show resistance in an electricity unit. Alas, I do not teach Physics.

Set up you need a plug that is cut exposing the two wires

Connect each wire to a metal object (I used nails)
jam into pickle

****plug in with one hand (as to not have and electricity jump through your heart if there is a short.

*** working with exposed wires is dangerous, be careful

Share

    Recommendations

    • Pocket-Sized Contest

      Pocket-Sized Contest
    • Spotless Contest

      Spotless Contest
    • Space Challenge

      Space Challenge
    user

    We have a be nice policy.
    Please be positive and constructive.

    Tips

    Questions

    13 Comments

    I tried this last weekend, with a meter on the wire it only used about 1.6 amps! no where near enough to blow a normal 15amp breaker

    Saw this in CSI a few weeks ago. It'll make a good mood lamp.

    1 reply

    it would smell a bit tho :S

    is it just me who feels a little uncomfortable about shoving nails in a pickle, and plugging into the mains? I got that right didn't I? Dont think i'll be trying this one. I dont want to blow the house fuses or burn my house down today. Seriously through is it connected to mains? I would feel safer if you could put a 12 volt battery onto it and use a transformer to up the voltage?

    1 reply

    I did this once with a neon sign transformer in my computer/electronics class after my Jacob's ladder failed and shorted the classroom circuit breaker!!!!!

    1 reply

    it could not have been a neon sign transformer, because they have short protection via a magnetic shunt on the core. If you short out a neon, they will short without blowing the breaker. A neon sign tube is a short in its own, so it is made to be shorted out. It must have been something that was not current limited. microwave oven transformer perhaps?

    Pickle part was kind of pointless to add in, but oh well.

    how many volts are there?

    Between 110 and 120 volts AC, it looked like he was using wall socket power.

    can I eat the pickle afterwards? or would it shock me? hehe feed people electrifying pickles...