This Instructable will describe how to build an ornament that flashes whenever there is water in your Christmas tree reservoir. When the lights go off your water level is low. I will describe how to position the sensors so that you know how much to fill the reservoir.
Step 1: Building the Circuit
Hats off to Cyberscann54.
I built everything on a perfboard. It's really a pretty easy circuit.
Step 2: Build/Modify the Case to House the Electronics and Batteries.
Step 3: Optional: Have a Beer. It's Thirsty Work!
Step 4: Insert LED's Into the Ornament
Step 5: Glue the Sensors Into the Tree Stand
Step 6: Connect the Sensor Wires to the Sensors Using Alligator Clips
Step 7: Using the Ornament
To use the Grinchombulax:
- First pour water in the reservoir until the lights blink.
- Then measure how much water you pour until the water level is about one inch below the top.
- Anytime enough water evaporates to let the lights go out do the following
- Pour water until the lights begin to blink again.
- Then use the same amount of water from step 2 to raise the level to within one inch of the top again.