Step 1: Materials
An empty plastic bottle
1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide WARNING: Keep peroxide off skin.
1 tablespoon of yeast
3 tablespoons warm water
Food coloring of your choice
Safety materials (goggles, gloves, etc.)
Step 2: Creating Elephant Toothpaste
2. Add 8 drops of your favorite food coloring into the bottle.
3. Add about 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap into the bottle and swish the bottle around a bit to mix it.
4. In a separate small cup, combine the warm water and the yeast together and mix for about 30 seconds.
5. Now the adventure starts! Pour the yeast water mixture into the bottle (a funnel helps here) and watch the foaminess begin!
Step 3: Safety Precautions
- Use safety glasses and gloves to prevent direct contact with your skin and the peroxide which can cause severe irritation.
- It is best to have an adult pour the peroxide, but it is not entirely necessary if you have "a steady hand".
- The elephant toothpaste can make a large mess, so be sure to put the beaker or bottle in a tub for easy clean-up.
- Stay mature. Don't mess around with any supplies or the finished product. Don't eat the foam.