Introduction: Elephant Toothpaste!
Get ready for a amazing fun to do experiment but remember safety first
Step 1: Saftey First
Because we are dealing with chemicals that can irritate your skin and eyes, you must wear goggles and gloves!
Step 2: Ingredients
You will need:
A clean 16 ounce plastic soda bottle
1/2 cup 20-volume hydrogen peroxide liquid (20-volume is a 6% solution, ask an adult to get this from a beauty supply store or hair salon)
1 Tablespoon (one packet) of dry yeast
3 Tablespoons of warm water
Liquid dish washing soap
Step 3: What to Do?
1. Hydrogen peroxide can irritate skin and eyes, so put on your goggles and gloves! Now carefully pour the hydrogen peroxide into the bottle.
2. Add 8 drops of your favorite food coloring into the bottle.
3. Add about 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap into the bottle and swish the bottle around a bit to mix it.
Step 4: What to Do?
In a separate small cup, combine the warm water and the yeast together and mix for about 30 seconds.
Let the foam begin! Pour the yeast water mixture into the bottle (a funnel helps here) and watch thereaction take place.
Step 5: Clean Up!
This foam that you created is only made of soap yeast and Hydrogen Peroxide, which can all be washed dowm the drain.
Step 6: Do You Want to Take This Demonstation a Step Futher? Now Make This an Experiment!
Chose one of these to make it an experiment:
1. Does the amount of yeast change the amount of foam produced?
2. Does the experiment work as well if you add the dry yeast without mixing it with water?
3. Does the size of the bottle affect the amount of foam produced?
Step 7: Here Is Our Experiment
Step 8: What Happend?
Hydrogen peroxide and the yeast werw mixed together and released oxygen. The yeast helped remove the oxygen from the hydrogen peroxide. Since it did this very fast, it created lots and lots of bubbles.
Also the bottle became. Why?? Well this experiment created a reaction called an Exothermic Reaction - that means it not only created foam, it created heat!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.